Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I want to get Lost

James' turn...

Breakfast at the Hau Tree Lanai... this place was at the very end of Waikiki on the eastern side, situated on the terrace of a hotel that opened up onto the beach. The entire terrace was covered by the branches of what I suppose must have been a Hau tree...? Whatever it was, it was cool as hell.

After a spot of breaky we decided to up the culture a tad, from laying out on the beach and screaming like a little girl in the ocean (the former being Ruthie, the latter being me...) and we drove over to the Pearl Harbour memorial by Pearl City.

Like all WW2 memorials there was a sobering wave of reality that washes over you as you walk around and read the various soundbites about what happened that day back in 1941 when the Japanese air force surprised the American fleet. We wandered around the facility by the water, saw the waters where the USS Arizona still resides fully submerged but visible from above and took a tour of the USS Bowfin, an American submarine. Having seen just how small the inside of a sub is No WAY would I ever survive in the Navy!!
On the way back to Waikiki we stopped off at Tiki lounge called 'La Marinara Sailing Club'. This place was hilarious. We saw it featured on a TV show before we came to Hawaii, famous since the late 50s for its ridiculous over the top decor and its ridiculously strong drinks. The Zombie has 8 shots of rum in it with a squirt of pinapple juice and a few cubes of ice. Thank god I was driving!! :o)
This place is situated next to marina with lots of yachts and boats to look at (nice) just a few hundred yards away from the main runway of the airport (not so nice!). Anyway, I treated myself to a pink drink (of course, for those who know me - virgin, as I was driving), while Ruthie went ahead and got liquored up. Haha. 


Come the evening we had reservations at Nobu, the world famous Japanese restaurant. De-LISH. It was awesome. Having been to the one in NYC and the one in London, I think this one felt the most authentic and with a few TV celebs dotted around the place (Claire / Emilie de Raven and Frank Lepidas / Jeff Fahey from Lost - I was excited, Ruthie stared at me blankly :) - it certainly sprinkled the icing on top of the chocolate soufflé we had for desert after munching on some AWWWWWWESOME sushi.


1 comment: